Tuesday, February 10, 2009

tax season

Yes, I am so unbelievably proud of myself - my taxes are done 2+ monthes prior to when they are due. This is a first in my life. Even when I was a lowly dependent, my taxes were done for me no more than 48 hours before the due date. Last year, I drove my sorry ass to H&R Block a few days before the due date after calling every one of my 7 employers and begging them to fax me my W2s since they got misplaced during my move the month before. Then I had to drive to 30th Street Station to mail my returns (and money I owed to the great state of Pennsylvania) the day they were due. Never again, I swore. I can't believe I followed through with that promise. High five for accomplishing one of my new years resolutions.

It took me one hour to do my taxes. Not bad, eh? Instead of getting my taxes done by H&R Block, I decided to do the free online Turbo Tax program. It was great! Very simple and very quick. H&R Block charged me about $100 last year. I justified this ridiculous amount with the fact that I had a dozen W2s from two different states (I was a substitute teacher last year), and I had lived in NJ and PA. Screw paying that again. I ended up paying $25 for online state filing, but it saves me the trouble of remembering to go to the post office and finding a printer at 9:30 pm. Go TurboTax!

I didn't get much back, but I'm not surprised. In fact, I thought I would owe money, as usual. I can't complain.

1 comment: